Saturday 16 January 2016

HAPPY

Hello there, mid January already, where does the time go? I do hope you all had a lovely festive season and have much to look forward to throughout 2016. I've been absent from blogland for quite a few weeks thanks to a neck problem which curtailed both my crochet and computer time, thankfully it's on the mend now and I can once again pick up my hook and catch up with people.




Small projects are what I need for the moment, something I can pick up and put down easily, so crocheted alphabet letters like the ones above are just perfect. Happy. What makes you happy? It's the little things that make me happy so I thought I'd share a few of the simple pleasures making me feel happy this January including these letters.





Pale pink flowers coming out on the Viburnum in our back garden. I love this plant, when there is nothing else out in the garden, including the snowdrops, I can rely on these little pink flowers for cheer. It brightens up the view from our dining table during the dull days at this time of year and I thoroughly enjoy seeing them. I snapped this photo from the window during a brief break from all the heavy rain there has been recently.





Another simple pleasure brightening my days is tea and cake. Earl Grey and Dundee cake anyone? Is there anything prettier than fine china teacups and saucers? I love pretty teacups and found these in a thrift shop a while ago. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to find them as the pink roses match the ones on my Maxwell & Williams cake stand very well, even though this china is decades old.

Although some things are out of our control, I often find happiness in taking the time to notice the small, simple things in life. As I returned home yesterday I stopped and took a moment to look and see if the shoots of the snowdrops had come up yet in my neighbours garden, and they have! I'm enjoying these short, dark, cold days of January, watching the birds feast on berries in the garden and feeling lucky to have a warm and dry home when so many others haven't. Spring, my favourite season, will soon be here, but not just yet and in the meantime there is tea, cake and crochet, what more could a girl want?

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous 2016.


Hx


14 comments:

  1. Hi there Helen. I loved this months post, so beautifully put together. Also love your china and cake! Hope you have a marvelous crocheting year! Val x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post!
    I also love pretty tea cups and saucers and I can't easily resisit buying them although I have plenty of them:) But as you said, it's life's little pleasures that count and why resist them?
    Have a lovely new year!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to resist too as I don't have enough space for more. Hx

      Delete
  3. Oh yes tea & cake! I like teacups too & I enjoy a good rummage in a charity shop looking for some xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea, cake and crochet sounds good to me! I still have several old fine china tea sets and even a couple of dinner sets. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to display them properly so they're stuck in a cupboard. A few of our snowdrops have started to flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love more china but don't have the space either. Your snowdrops must be a little earlier than here. Hx

      Delete
  5. What a perfect post for a cold and damp winter's day - Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Josie, the perfect post for a cold winter's day. Glad to hear that you are feeling better and treating yourself to tea and cake. There should always be cake.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are on the mend Helen. I love Spring too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helen, I have just discovered your blog. I hope your neck problem is now well and truly cured and you can enjoy your crochet again. I must say your Dundee cake looks very tasty and I love your pretty china. Looking forward to reading more of your blog posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tea and cake are an excellent way to start the New Year, and on such pretty china too. I do like those pink roses. I also really like your crochet letters. I haven't seen them before - they're really sweet. Hope you're neck is better soon.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment, I love to read them all and will reply to any questions as soon as I can.